Monday, November 16, 2009

Easter-The New Christmas

Yesterday after church my family and I decided to stop by the mall to pick up a few items. I hadn't realized that the holidays begin two months before Christmas actually is. I walked into the mall only to be swarmed by thousands of people with thousands of bags filled with thousands of gifts for their thousands of relatives. I sometimes wonder if we haven't lost sight of what Christmas was all about in the first place. I think we forget about Jesus. I think we forget about what Christ's birth did for us. When Christ was born, God began a story of redemption to save us. The interesting part is that we celebrate the start of the story with great intensity, the birth of Jesus, but the climax we give to the Easter bunny, the death and resurrection. If the birth was the most important part of the story, then why is it that when the Christ died the disciples lost hope. It is because the story wasn't finished. I would argue that Christ story is similar to the new Transformers movie. Would we enjoy the movie as much as we did if the movie ended with the death of Optimus Prime? No. That would be a terrible story. We would lose hope in the cause of the Autobots altogether. Is Christ's story not the same? The climax of Jesus life was not his birth, but his death and resurrection. When Christ is resurrected the story comes complete and becomes good. I am not saying that Christ's birth is not worth celebrating, but I am saying that Christ's death and resurrection are far more important. So maybe this coming Easter we should whip out the Christmas tree. Maybe this Easter we should give gifts to the ones we love the most. Maybe this Easter could become the New Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment